We here at A Bad Homance have been stunned and saddened to hear of the passing on of David Bowie. I’m still rather at a loss of words about it, so I’ll just share a favorite photo and say….thanks, David. For the music, the movies, the fashion, and daring to be different.
If you guessed 19 years old, you’d be RIGHT! I bought these when I worked in my first makeup job at Merle Norman. They still work great and I haven’t even sent them in for sharpening! I clean them with rubbing alcohol and they are good to go.
So, I have some bad makeup habits I’m trying to break! In 2015, it was bad brows. I watched a bunch of tutorials and I stepped it up big time. Thanks, YouTube!
Next year, I have a few “resolutions” I’d like to try to remember.
1. STOP BLOWING ON MY BRUSHES. OMG, you guys, I even got yelled at on a makeup counter for doing this. I still catch myself doing it. GROSS! Bacteriaaaaaaaaaaa.
2. Placing contour and blush too damn low on my face. Oh man, this is so bad. It ages you and drags the face down. Dear self, do the trick with the brush handle from top of ear to edge of mouth…then do not deviate below that!
3. Getting eyeshadow too far out/down on the outside corners of the eyes, dragging the whole eye down. There’s a reason some people use tape. I mean, talk about another thing that ages you…shadowing your crow’s feet? Let’s work on that.
4. Going too matte on the whole face. Again, this is an aging thing. We are no longer a greasy 17 year old and it’s not 1983. Calm down with the powder explosions.
5. Nudes every day. OH GOD SO BORING. You are not boring! Change it up. Why do you have all that zany MAC and UD?
6. Either get your bangs trimmed more often or grow them out, but the barrettes thing is getting stupid.
So, do you have anything you’d like to change about your beauty game?
I’ve always been obsessed with vintage makeup, fashion, etc. I was unable to sleep tonight and stumbled across this gem! Can’t you just see them doing this with modern day contour/highlight sticks? Our makeup roots are strong…this video is from the 30s!
Women…over-drawing our lips for 80 years! 😉
Rachel posted her cats and I feel I’d be depriving the world of a prime opportunity to meet my cat.
This handsome beast is my cat, Fëanor (Fay-ah-nor). He is five years old – born Valentine’s Day 2010. He is named after Fëanor, once High King of the Noldor and creator of the Silmarils. He is one of the principal characters of JRR Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. His full name is Fëanor Airwë (Fëanor the Orange), High King of the Back Yard.
He’s enormous – 16 pounds and almost two feet long. Like his namesake, he is stubborn, doesn’t have a lot of common sense, and is noisy. His favorite things are spooning under the covers like a stuffed animal, making noise, knocking things over and watching MotoGP with me (seriously, he loves it).
He’s the best cat in the world.
This is my cat, Jethro. He’s 2 years old this month! He’s a Humane Society rescue and he pretty much came home and decided he was going to try to be king of the universe.
This, however, is the actual Queen of the Universe. This is Bella – she’s 14 years old, half Jethro’s size, and regularly puts him in his place.
Do you have any pets?
I recently ordered some stuff from NYX from their Memorial Day sale. Some sweet warehouse person saw that I ordered a black eyeshadow and threw in a freebie pencil brush – how nice! As I was snipping off the plastic wrapper, the brush slid down in the package…
Have you ever had an un-boxing disaster? This is not my worst one, by far. I once stabbed a pair of scissors right through the fabric of a corset. Luckily, it was a cheap one (giggle)! Yes, yes, I know…each time I swear I will pay better attention!
Fall is my favorite season, but I absolutely love spring and summer because I’ve started doing some gardening in recent years. My roses are looking great! I’m pretty proud of them! Last night, we had a big juicy watermelon after dinner, which was pork chops on the grill. That’ll do, summer, that’ll do.